What is your pledge on this World Environment Day? Would you choose to work with GERMI?
What does GERMI do to mitigate the onslaught of climate change?
GERMI is one of the pioneer organizations in the energy sector in India with its activities ranging from research & development, advisory and consulting to capacity building. In the past years, GERMI has worked extensively with the central and state government agencies, industries and academia to position itself as an authentic and reliable organization having a Indian roots, with an aspiration to be a world leader and an “Energy Think Tank” by spreading knowledge and empowering all stakeholders of the energy sector.
Highlights of GERMI’s few of the many *star* accomplishments:
GERMI provides their applied research expertise to government and industry through Advisory, Project Management Consulting, Third Party Inspections, R&D projects, Water and Solid Waste Management, Waste to Energy, Solar Thermal Refrigeration, Seismic Data Interpretation for Petroleum Fields and Execution of Renewable and Non-Renewable Energy Projects. GERMI has carried out research and development activities in the Solar & Wind Hybrid sector wherein we formulated a Feasibility report for GUVNL.
GERMI has ventured into new contemporary sectors like developing a Solar Thermal air conditioning project for government buildings, project design for innovative solar PV structures for canal top – wherein with the success of the first 1MW canal-top solar power project in the world, Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited (SSNNL) wanted to take this concept to the next step – replication at a commercial-scale of 10 MW.
GERMI was roped in as an expert to:
- Check the feasibility of various sites and recommend the most appropriate site for developing the 10 MW project.
- Verify and achieve cost-effectiveness in developing a project on a canal.
- Recommend an appropriate business model for project development.
- Develop tender and other contractual documents to select an appropriate engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor.
GERMI also developed an automatic cleaning machine for Solar PV plants, degradation study of SPV modules (Multi-technology, Multi-location), a hydrophobic coating of solar PV modules, feasibility study report on Lignite Drying etc.
As far as petroleum research is concerned, the basic objective of the Petroleum Research Lab is to serve as a Centre for Excellence in Research & Development and to provide state of the art technology in geological, geochemical and petrophysical analysis and well site geological support to E&P companies. These labs are fully equipped to carry out Routine, Special and Advanced Core Analysis, Source rock potential characterization, Surface Geochemical Prospecting, Coal Characterization and Crude oil mapping.
The Petroleum Research Laboratory has the basic objective to serve as a Centre of Excellence in research on the development of increasingly efficient and well-adapted technologies to extract, upgrade, manage and commercialize the oil and gas resources.
The research programme includes basic studies of oil and gas displacement and production, reservoir rock and fluid properties, drilling technology, methodologies to improve oil recovery, gas production from gas hydrates, establish database and models for future reservoir management and to maximize hydrocarbon recovery in addition to the application of CO2 sequestration technologies.
The research programme accordingly addresses the challenge of meeting the growing demand for affordable oil and gas by conducting basic and applied research on hydrocarbon energy resources and economic impacts of their production and use. The focus is on on-shore and off-shore resources and the lithological controls of resource abundance, quality and location.
GERMI is proud to proclaim that it has developed two state-of-the-art, indigenously developed and industry relevant software, within a span of 15 months! Our aim is to encourage future geologists and software developers to come up with more remarkable accomplishments.
Out of the many pilot projects demonstrated on the field, we choose to speak about the project wherein we designed and developed a microgrid system for the Central Mine Planning and Design Institute (CMPDI) and GERMI jointly undertook the R&D project, which was funded by Coal India Ltd. The project is executed at CMPDI head office, Ranchi, Jharkhand; within a duration of 2.5 years.
The solution offered by GERMI include:
- Microgrid logic is designed to optimize different energy sources, energy storage and selecting load shedding (automatic demand response)
- 190 kW solar rooftop PV system to maximise green energy
- 2 x 500 kVA voltage stabilizers to enhance grid supply voltage
- 250 kVA UPS with 10 min backup for uninterrupted power switching from Grid to DG
- Automatic changeover panel to effectuate commands from the micro-grid controller, DG synchronization and load sharing
- Smart meters for real-time energy generation & consumption
- Contractors for connection disconnection of noncritical loads during the changeover
- Minimize the carbon footprint of the campus while improving the quality and availability of power
Advisory & Consulting
GERMI has been the first of many things, like the first to bring out a solar energy policy even before the NSM was launched; GERMI launched India’s first O&M Handbook for solar PV systems, GERMI came out with the first agri-solar pilot project at Dhundhi village, wherein six Gujarati farmers have formed the world’s first solar power cooperative society to sell surplus power generated from solar water pumps installed at their farms, you want to hear more? Here are GERMI’s top advisory projects that include:
- Preparation of Solar Tariff Order for Gujarat State
- Preparation of Gujarat Solar Power Policy‐2015
- Preparation of a Solar Masterplan for GIFT City (Gujarat International Finance Tec-City – Global Financial Hub)
- MNRE’s Best Practices Manual for implementation of state-level rooftop solar photovoltaic programmes in India
- Assessing the Impacts of Distributed (Rooftop ) PV on Distribution Transformers
- Preparation of Gujarat Biogas Policy & White Paper
- Developing a web based portal – Global Technology Watch Group (GTWG) for Department of Science and Technology, Government of India to showcase policies
- Assessing the Rooftop Solar PV Potential of Hyderabad and Chennai
- Biogas Market Study for Deutsches Biomasseforschungszentrum (DBFZ)
- Best Practices in Operation and Maintenance of Rooftop Solar PV Systems in India
- Preparation of Gujarat Wind and Solar Hybrid Policy
- Development and Customization of RATE tool for Gujarat
- Identification of High Potential Business cases for RTPV in India
Project Management Consulting
In addition to the above, GERMI has undertaken 1500+ MW of solar PV projects through extensive project management consultancy (PMC) for megawatt-scale ground-mounted PV projects, solar park projects, canal-top projects etc. for a number of government and private organizations. We have a presence in over 10 states of India for now and our target is to cover all states and go global by 2025.
GERMI has been actively involved with the Govt. of Gujarat’s renewable energy initiatives since the past several years. We have been an integral part of pioneering show-case projects in the solar sector like the following:
- Asia’s largest Solar Park in Gujarat (now replicated all over India), World’s first canal-top solar project and its replication (for which GERMI received the Prime Minister’s Award, now replicated all over India)
- 5 MW Gandhinagar Rooftop Solar Programme (top-10 PPP of Asia-Pacific by Infrastructure Journal, Earth Care Award, replicated in various cities of India)
iii. Formulating and drafting of several policy and regulations for the state government
GERMI has provided its services to Government Agencies and PSUs inside and outside Gujarat on nomination basis; a few of the key agencies are mentioned below:
- Ministry of New and Renewable (MNRE), Government of India
- Coal India Limited (CIL)
iii. Oil and Natural Gas Limited (ONGC)
- MOIL Limited
- Haryana Power Generation Corporation Limited (HPGCL)
- Jharkhand Renewable Energy Development Agency (JREDA)
vii. Green Energy Development Corporation of Odisha Limited (GEDCOL)
viii. Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Limited (GSECL)
- Rajasthan Electronics and Instruments Limited (REIL)
- Jammu and Kashmir State Power Development Corporation Limited (JKSPDCL)
- National Water Development Agency (NWDA)
xii. Gujarat Power Corporation Limited, and more
- GERMI is involved in MW scale rooftop solar PV power projects in various states of India i.e. Gujarat, Odisha, Jharkhand, J&K, etc. as a Third party Inspector (TPI). This gives GERMI tremendous insight on the actual situation on the ground, quality and process issues, needs for skill development, etc. This experience adds enormous value and relevance to while imparting training.
Training & Development
We have trained more than 1200 professionals in the field of G&G, solar energy, environment and energy efficiency; as well as published more than 100 publications in reputed journals and conferences.
GERMI has received recognition as a Centre of Excellence from Skill Council for Green Jobs (SCGJ), and recently awarded as “The Best Solar Training Centre” across India. GERMI is currently amongst one of the best training imparters in the energy domain – both Renewable & Non-renewable energy. Since 2009, GERMI has trained 1200+ individuals in the Energy Sector. GERMI has developed Solar PV labs in 6 ITIs of Gujarat. GERMI has launched the “National Certification Programme for Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic Installer”, and has set out on a journey of establishing 100 GERMI Authorized Training Centres across India to skill 10,000 Solar PV Installers per year throughout the world.
Get in touch with GERMI if you have an energy initiative in mind!